Friday, December 4, 2015

Back to School! And Other Stuff

Sorry for the three month old blog post, but my computer broke.  Such is life in a developing country…

Nothing is a more reliable, and terrifying, indicator of how fast my Peace Corps service is going as major events that take place in the village and even in my household.  To a villager, these would seem like normal annual events, but for me, it’s a reminder that I have just one more year left.  September was full of these little reminders. 

To start with, I had my last first day of school with the kids and teachers in the village.  It was actually a little bizarre to see different faces in all their different classes.  Not having last year’s Standard VI class there was also odd.  Instead, as is typically the case with schools, a new group of students had taken their place.  Luckily, I have developed a very good relationship with this group during the previous year, but it’s an adjustment having to call them the “seniors” of the primary school.  And next year, they will hopefully all be in high school and another group will replace them, and so continues the cycle.  It’s crazy to think that one day, even the little Infant class won’t be so infant any more. 

With the start of the school year came new goals that I’ve set for myself and the school, one of the biggest being the student leader program.  This year is the year where I start to hand over the program, creating what will hopefully be a sustainable program that will teach students about the importance of leadership years down the road.  After a roller coaster ride during the nominations and election process (there was a lot of, “Are you running or not?” going on), I’m happy to say that we have a great, motivated group of kids looking forward to the coming year.  One of the boys is also hilarious.  He came by my room one day and we had the following exchange:

Felipe: “I used to be a spider once, but I changed.”

Me: “Oh? What kind of spider were you?”

Felipe: “SUPERMAN!!”

I don’t know if I’ve been in the village too long or what, but I thought it was hilarious.

The big thing that they are looking forward to is fundraising for a trip to Xunantunich, a Mayan ruin in central Belize.  This trip will, hopefully, include trips to the capital where students can meet with some of the leaders in the government as well as healthy cooking lessons in Punta Gorda.  This is going to be a rather expensive trip, though, so I’m happy to have a teacher at the school who is very excited in learning how to write grants and proposals.  Together, I’m hoping that we can knock out a grant to help fund the trip.  This way, not only the students are benefitting but so is the teacher, and, ultimately, the school.

They will also be continuing to help the school through a variety of projects and other clubs.  The first of these is to continue work in the library, something that was a huge success among all of the students last year.  The main difference this year is that I’m not working it.  I’ve set up a system with the student leaders and the teachers in which two days a week, they open up the library.  This way, it can continue once I’m gone.  I am also going to work with the teachers on opening up a few clubs that the student leaders have said the other students would be interested in.  These include an art club, a gardening club, and an exercise club.  The student leaders are also going to work to bring a tire park to the village using old recycled tires.

I have also started a BRO Club, BRO being short for Boys Reaching Out, with the Standard IV-VI boys in the village.  So far we’ve only had two meetings, the first as an introduction to the club, the second on goal setting.  For the next meeting, we’re going to watch Cool Runnings and ask the boys to identify the different aspects of goal setting that we talked about during the second meeting.  We tried to do this during the second half of that meeting, but I went to move the desk that my computer was on and it went crashing down (hence the reason I’m typing a September/October blog post in December; also, it should be noted that originally, this was typed in early November, but my computer broke again so here we are, December).  The boys seem to have enjoyed the first few meetings and are really into the idea of watching movies to reinforce the different lessons we’ve discussed.  Some future lessons will be teamwork, gender and racial equality, and healthy living.  I’m even working with some of the other volunteers to get a BRO camp up and running where different BRO clubs from all over the country will get together for a week long camp.  This is one of the projects that I’m most excited about!

This coming year, I’m also trying to work a lot more with the Community Health Worker.  One of the things we decided to focus on this year was working hard to make sure that we got the minimum required one school visit.  I’m excited to say that, not only have we done the lessons, but that he has been a major motivator!  In September, we taught Infant I-Standard II students about brushing teeth, and then passed out tooth brushes and paste that were giving to us from the Hillside Clinic.  Then, in October, we gave a lesson to Standard III on having good hygiene.  I’m extremely proud of the growth that I’ve seen in him.  He seems excited and motivated about the health of the village.  He is in an extremely difficult position, but he’s doing a great job.  None of the work that I’m doing would be possible without him. 

Another reminder of how long I’ve been here is Independence Day, you know, the party in the village where they rip the ducks heads off. Yeah, it’s really been a year since I first witnessed that.  This year, though, I decided not to attend.  Instead, I played volleyball with some of the boys and younger men in the village.

Independence Day was also an excuse to have festivals for the weekend leading up to it.  On Friday, the school had its queen pageant in which three or four older girls at the school collect money.  Each dollar is equal to a vote.  They then had a talent show where they had to recite poems, do dances, and answer questions.  Between each round, there was a chance for the audience to donate more money to the girl they thought performed the best.  The whole event is a big deal in the village, and loads of families came out to support their favorite “contestant”.  This was also a great way for the school to raise money.

The following day, there was a football marathon in the village.  Ten teams participated and about a hundred fans or more, including the Area Representative, came out to watch.  My friend, Dan, even came out with his village’s team to play, and they actually took first place!

In the past few months, the latrine project has also continued at an impressive pace.  By the end of December, we should have over 20 latrines constructed!  That being said, donations are still very welcome!  Make sure that if you’re interested in donating, you clearly indicate that this is for San Vicente Latrine Project, Ac Yuam Development group. Any donations are welcome.  The villagers are also extremely grateful for everything that you all have done!

Other than that, I’ve been involved in a decent amount of work outside of the village.  I was able to Skype a group of Clemson students interested in doing Peace Corps and tell them about my experience as well as what Peace Corps is all about.  I’m also working on some drawings for a friend who is putting together a manual for the Community Health Workers that will make house visits much easier.  It will also act as a way to explain difficult concepts to them so that they can take that knowledge and pass it to the village. 

It hasn’t been all work here, though.  I’ve also taken some time to get out of the village and relax with friends.  In general, volunteers get three personal days a month that do not accumulate where they can go and take time outside of site, as well as two vacation days a month that we can accrue.  For example, if I want to go into PG for a night, I’ll use a personal day.  If I want to go on a week and a half vacation to Mexico, I’ll take my vacation days.  In early October, I decided to use some of my personal days to go to Caye Caulker and hangout with some other volunteers.  This just so happened to coincide with the Clemson-Notre Dame game.  Needless to say, I had a blast!

Side note: Go Tigers, yeah?! 12-0! Whoda thunk it after losing so many key pieces on defense.  They look great, though! Defense will need to tighten up some against UNC in the ACC Championship game, but I have full faith that they’ll come out motivated and ready to play! 


Aside from that, I’ve also been waking up to run around 5:00 most mornings.  I signed up for a half marathon in Placencia, but weather here has gotten pretty rainy so a lot of mornings I wake up and play on my iPod while listening to the rain outside.  In other words, training hasn’t been going too well.  Just looking forward to spending time with the other volunteers.  Should be a great weekend!
Some other things I’ve noticed that have made me go, “Wow, have I really been here that long?”:

My host nephew turned 7.  He was 5 when I got here. 

I have seen my host family construct a completely new house out of cement in which I am know living.


I put my host nephew in a head lock and started play fighting with him in a semi-public place.  He got angry, pushed me off, and said, “I’m not a baby! You can’t just come and play with me whenever you want!” I now kind of know how parent feel when their kids say that they are embarrassing them.  That wouldn’t have happened a year ago, but he is in high school now.  I blame the change on that.  Apparently, though, he still is kind of a kid at heart.  That evening, he came and jumped in my hammock and wouldn’t leave until I picked him up and dragged him out my room, laughing the whole time.  Kids, man, they grow up so fast…

No comments:

Post a Comment