Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Vacation!

Right before I posted my last blog post, I had just finished up an excellent vacation with two of my good friends, Annie and Nicole.  Though they were only here for a few days, we had a blast! So much so that Nicole forced me to make this a separate blog post.  

I met them at the airport on Thursday where we quickly caught up before jumping in a taxi and making our way to the Belize City bus terminal.  We got lucky and had an awesome cab driver along the way.  He told us about the different events that'd be going on in the city and pointed out some upcoming projects that the city was working on.  I felt like it was a good introduction to the city for the girls (and for myself, having never been before).  It worked out even better that we got to the terminal at the same time as a bus heading down to Placencia, where we would be staying the next three nights.  


The bus trip was relatively uneventful except for we got warm sweet bun... You can't really beat warm sweet bun on a bus ride with friends.


After what was an extremely long bus ride down to Placencia, we dropped off our stuff and went out to meet some other volunteers at one of the local bars.  It was like two separate worlds were colliding. Thus far during service, I've had my Peace Corps world and my not Peace Corps world.  It wasn't until that moment at the Tipsy Tuna that they both collided and, with the exception of all the embarrassing stories that were told of me, it was awesome!  I really need to commend the girls, too.  I think when it was all said and done they'd been up for 23 hours or something crazy like that.  Despite that fact, they were up and at it early the next morning.


After getting some breakfast and sending off some of the volunteers, Nicole, Annie, the remaining volunteers, and I went out to the beach for the rest of the day.  The whole weekend was a pretty overcast, but there were times that were sunny during the day.  It was honestly the best day we could have had at the beach, so we made the most of it.  For lunch, we went down to this tiny restaurant off the dock to get some authentic Belizean food.  The food was great and the owner was amazing.  She conveyed everything that one would attribute to a Belizean: welcoming, kind, and carefree.  That afternoon, we spent some time jumping off a pear out into the sea until it was finally time to send off two more Peace Corps friends and start getting ready for dinner.


With the weather being a little iffy, we weren't really sure what we were going to do for dinner. One of the options was this restaurant called Tranquilo, which was supposed to be incredible, but it is on a dock off an island, so if the weather wasn't great, there was a chance it could be kind of an uncomfortable dinner. We decided to risk it, though, and it ended up being a great bet.  While we were waiting for the water taxi that would take us out to the restaurant, a couple just married came out, the bride still in her wedding dress.  You can imagine it was a little awkward when we showed up and employees began asking us if we were with the wedding party, but we handled it.  Overall, it was an incredible meal, especially the lionfish that I tried from Nicole's plate.  If you're ever in Placencia, I would highly recommend it, especially if you time it right for sunset.  


Or if you prefer the version with the manatee trying to drink my beer, there it is... 


The next day was rainy again, but Nicole and Annie were able to get out and see some manatees.  Other than that, though, most of the time was spent inside resting and getting ready for "The Fight of the Millennium" that would be later that night between Pacquiao and Mayweather.  After the fight, Nicole and I had some drinks on the beach and talked about all the reasons that she should join Peace Corps! We'll see if I was convincing enough.  Only time can tell.


The next day started early with a pretty rough bus ride into Armenia to see my host family from the village.  I couldn't let Nicole and Annie leave without getting to experience some of the Mayan culture.  It was great to see my first Belizean home again.  They are doing great! The youngest is doing really well in school and was at the top of his Infant I class.  He was speaking to me in English and everything, something that the Infants at my site struggle with.  Though the menu changed last minute and we had rice and beans instead of caldo, Nicole and Annie still got to experience some of the culture, such as playing Uno in a thatch house (alright, maybe minus the Uno).  Annie even used a latrine.  Nicole and I were both very proud. 


Time in the village was short lived, though, and as soon as lunch was over, we were on our way to Belmopan to stay with my embassy family, where Annie was back in her element. 


And then, just like that, the next morning came, and it was time to head back into Belize City to find the girls a taxi driver that would get them back to the airport safely.  Though short lived, I don't think it could have been a better trip.  There were drinks, karaoke, and sweet buns the size of a human head.  There were manatees, thatched homes, and pit latrines.  There were friendships formed, stories told about past lives, and memories that I'll take with me forever, and for all of these things, I am most grateful.  Thanks Annie and Nicole for coming down and sharing a part of my life that I won't be able to share with many people in the States once I return.  I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment